We are excited to bring actress Michéle LaRue back to North Central Washington for several performances this month!
Join us for an evening of being swept away to the turn of the last century with LaRue’s Tales Well Told, a Story Hour for Grown Ups — which offers vibrant performances of vintage American literature.
She will do one of three performances during her tour of NCRL libraries. They are:
The Bedquilt: The Bedquilt by Dorothy Canfield Fisher centers on old Aunt Mehetable who is taken for granted by her New England family – until she conceives a quilt “beyond which no pattern could go.” A suspenseful tale from 1906 achingly reveals Mehetabel’s journey to self
respect, universal admiration, and the realization of her ideal.
My Summer Vacation: Celebrate the summer the old fashioned way with two short stories taken from the book My Summer Vacation – Stories Sweet and Surprising. LaRue will perform “The Nice People,” by H.C. Bunner and “Miss Esther’s Guest,” by Sarah Orne Jewett. In “The Nice People” (1890), a charming young couple innocently brings mystery to a rustic resort: they seem nice, but … ? A different surprise greets “Miss Esther’s Guest” who – although invited – is thoroughly unexpected.
Revolt of Mother: Long ago, Adoniram Penn promised his wife that he would build a proper house on their New England farm. He even pointed out the spot. That was early in their marriage – two children ago. Now, as their eldest prepares for her wedding, the family still crams into the old,
shabby cottage…and Father is building a barn where the new house should be. It’s the last straw for Mother, and she’s going to do something about it.
Here is LaRue’s performance schedule:
- Cashmere Public Library: 6:30 p.m. July 18, Revolt of Mother.
- Chelan Public Library: 6 p.m. July 19, My Summer Vacation.
- Ephrata Public Library: 6:30 p.m. July 15, The Bedquilt.
- Moses Lake Public Library, 6:30 p.m. July 16, My Summer Vacation.
- Omak Public Library, 6 p.m. July 24, The Bedquilt.
- Quincy Public Library, 6 p.m. Revolt of Mother.
- Twisp Public Library, 6 p.m. July 25, Revolt of Mother.
- Waterville Public Library: 6 p.m. July 17, The Bedquilt.
- Wenatchee: 6:30 p.m. July 22 at Pybus Public Market, Revolt of Mother (Co-sponsored by Confluence Health).