Musician Sean Gaskell returns to our libraries this month to perform traditional songs on the Kora, a 21-string harp native to West Africa.
The Kora creates a melodic and peaceful sound, though many of the traditional songs tell ancient stories of war and hardship or praise people of high political
status. Some of its songs trace back 800 years to the founding of the Mande empire.
was first inspired to play by a Kora player based in Seattle, and then studied the instrument extensively in Gambia, West Africa. He has been featured
at a number of music festivals in the United States, Gambia, and Senegal.
His performance schedule at our libraries:
- Entiat Public Library: 3 p.m. July 18
- Leavenworth Public Library: 3 p.m. July 19
- Omak Public Library: 1 p.m. July 20
- Oroville Public Library: 6 p.m. July 16
- Quincy Public Library: 6 p.m. July 17
- Republic Public Library: 6 p.m. July 15
Gaskell performed in several of our libraries last fall.