The big news this week is the historical total solar eclipse. Many of our libraries are hosting eclipse-related activities. Several are also throwing parties and giving away prizes to celebrate a successful summer of reading. Mixed into that will be a scattering of makerspace, music and mindfulness programs. So don’t give up on summer at the libraries just yet!
Solar Eclipse at the Library
- Wenatchee: Will have 200 pairs of eclipse-safe glasses for people to share at an eclipse-watching party on Monday. They will also show a livestream of the eclipse on TV.
- Ephrata: Will have a limited number of glasses available on Monday and will be showing a live feed from NASA on a big screen.
- Cashmere: Will show a livestream of the eclipse on TV. The library gave away 75 pairs of glasses on Friday.
- Moses Lake: Will provide 100 pairs of glasses, limited to one per family, starting at 10 a.m. Monday. They will have crafts, snacks, and a livestream of the eclipse on TV.
- Entiat: Will have 30 pairs of glasses to give away on Monday starting at 9 a.m. and is inviting people to stay and watch the eclipse.
End of Summer Parties!
- Curlew: 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Ferry County Fairgrounds, with merry-go-round rides, crafts and games, and prizes.
- Entiat: 11 a.m. Wednesday.
- Grand Coulee: 3 p.m. Friday.
- Leavenworth: 2 p.m. Wednesday with L-Bow the Clown.
- Oroville: 11 a.m. Thursday, includes showing of films made by teens over the summer.
- Quincy: 11 a.m. Wednesday.
- Republic:11 a.m. Wednesday at the Ferry County Fairgrounds, with merry-go-round rides, crafts and games, and prizes.
- Royal City: 11 a.m. Thursday.
- Soap Lake: Noon Saturday.
- Tonasket: 11 a.m. Friday.
And a few other highlights …
- Chelan: Lego storytelling, 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- Entiat: Mindfulness with Ruth, 11 a.m. Monday.
- Ephrata: Makerspace, 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- Twisp: Folk singer Rico Stover, 11 a.m. Wednesday.
- Wenatchee: Arduino makerspace workshop, 6 p.m. Thursday.
- Winthrop: Making structures with architect Margo Peterson-Aspholm, 3 p.m. Thursday.